7.06.2011

Father's Day

I forgot to do a post about Chase's first Father's Day! So here it is.

To celebrate, we did things in reverse order. On Friday night - before Father's Day - Chaser opened his gifts! Finn decided to go all out and get his daddy some basketball shorts, new church socks, a huge bag of Sour Patch Kids, drill bits, and a picture that I made of him and his papa.




This picture was inspired by a song Chase wrote for me during our last semester of college when I was having major self-esteem issues and comparing my design work to everyone else and feeling like I wasn't good enough and I'd never amount to anything, etc. This really gave me a huge boost and helped me realize what matters most - looking on the inside and not worrying what others think. It's something I want him to teach our son, and I know he will because he's an amazing father. I sing this song to Finn all the time as a lullaby.

Here are the lyrics, it's called Sea:

I'm a drop on the tail of a ravenous whale,
in the middle of nowhere and everyone's here.
And I became aware that the people I see,
are the people that live and they die without me.

I feel buried, so buried, at the top of the sea,
a fifteen-day ferry from the incivility
of the mountains, the mountains, where I still call my home
and the clouds take control at the top of the stones and they say:

Chorus
"You're lost at sea... Indefinitely
Please come back home... You shouldn't be alone."

I'm a leaf in the wind and I feel I'm destined,
to be something I'm not, but I think that's the point.
I got sky up above and the sea down below
and with this blank canvas I'll have something to show

To the people, those people, the ones that everyone sees.
And the only care I have for them is them caring for me,
when I should be loving everything that's building up inside of me,
and throw away the things I'm not 'cause one day I'll matter to me.

Chorus
"You're lost at sea... Indefinitely
Please come back home... You shouldn't be alone. "

Chase loved it, even though the colors printed out funny.

On Saturday night, we went out to Texas Roadhouse, which is Chase's favorite restaurant. And as usual, we were full from salad and rolls and brought the bulk of our meal home and heated that up for Sunday dinner. Fancy, I know. Here's my two men on Sunday morning before church:


Chase is such an incredible father. He's completely enthralled and in love with his little boy. I knew he'd be a great dad because he is the type of person that pretty much loves everyone he meets. But he truly loves Finn with all his heart - he would do or sacrifice anything to keep his little boy safe and happy. He loves to play with him, cuddle him, feed him sweet potatoes, attack his tummy with kisses, tickle him, make him laugh, sing to him, dance with him, give him baths, rock him, even change his diaper.

He's also an amazing father in the sense that he and I are equal partners in this whole parenting thing - he's always willing to drop anything he's doing to meet Finn's needs. To me that says more about how much he loves his boy than anything else. I know as Finn grows up, Chase will be there by his side to guide him, teach him, lift him up when he falls, and be an example that anyone would be blessed to have in their life. I know that I am a better person every day because of Chase and it makes me so happy to know that Finn be able to follow the example of a man who lives his life with honesty, integrity, faith, selflessness, and love for everyone around him. Simply put, Chase is the best papa in the world. :)

1 comment:

The Sorensens. said...

Soo cute! i LOVE that animated picture!